Offering performance and flexibility unique to the medium format world, the Leica S (Typ 007) is a medium format DSLR offering high-resolution still and video recording capabilities. Revolving around a 37.5MP 30 x 45mm CMOS sensor and Maestro II image processor, this camera is notable in its ability to produce image quality with remarkable sharpness, clarity, and dynamic range. The omission of an optical low-pass filter from the sensor's design further enables enhanced detail and resolution, that pairs well with the optimized Leica S lenses. Furthermore, on-sensor microlenses work to produce consistent and even light distribution to ensure edge-to-edge sharpness and illumination for a high degree of overall clarity. Beyond advanced still image recording, the S is also capable of producing 4K video files, as well as full HD, with a variety of options for audio and video recording. Utilizing the large sensor to the fullest extent, the S (Typ 007) is a versatile imaging device designed to deliver the utmost quality to both photographers and videographers.
Combining the sensor and processing prowess of the camera, a top sensitivity of ISO 12500 is afforded as well as the ability to record up to 32 consecutive DNG files at a rate of 3.5 fps. A predictive autofocus system, using a central cross-type phase detection point, helps to maintain critical focus in a variety of lighting conditions. Additionally, if working in live view, focus peaking serves as a useful alternative for ensuring image sharpness with manual focus techniques.
Complementing the advanced imaging capabilities of the Leica S is an equally refined body design, which takes on a minimalist structure with focus on the most essential shooting controls. A large, 3.0", 921.6k-dot, LCD monitor serves as a clear means for image review and menu navigation while the large 0.87x-magnification, pentaprism viewfinder acts as a bright tool for image composition. A weather-sealed, magnesium alloy, body construction protects the system from dust and moisture, including the series of interface ports and lens mount. Additionally, built-in Wi-Fi connectivity enables remote camera control and wireless transferring of files to mobile devices, and a GPS module enables the recording of location information to the EXIF data of image files.
Leica Pro Format CMOS Sensor
A large 37.5MP 45 x 30mm CMOS sensor enables truly high-resolution imaging with a sensitivity range from ISO 100-12500 and a dynamic range of approximately 15 stops. The large size of the sensor helps to produce notable image sharpness and clarity with smooth tonal and color gradations. Additionally, the design of the sensor enables the omission of a traditional optical low-pass filter for achieving even greater image sharpness and resolution. On-chip microlenses have also been incorporated into the sensor's design to ensure even light distribution and sharpness from edge-to-edge.
Fast and Efficient Performance
A highly efficient Maestro II image processor and 2GB buffer complements the image sensor's capabilities and facilitates recording up to 32 consecutive 37.5MP DNG lossless compressed files at a continuous shooting rate of 3.5 fps. When shooting in the JPEG format, the total number of consecutive images recorded is only limited by the memory card's capacity. Additionally, the focal plane shutter's design has also been enhanced and tested to provide at least 150,000 cycles. In regard to focus, a predictive autofocus mode benefits tracking moving subjects through the use of a single cross-type phase-detection sensor.
4K and Full HD Movie Recording
In addition to apt still shooting capabilities, the S (Typ 007) also avails the ability to record 4K video (4096 x 2160) within a Super 35-sized area of the sensor, or full HD 1080p video using the entire sensor area. In full HD, frame rates up to 30p are available and a frame rate of 24 fps can be used during 4K recording. Additionally, both recording modes allow manual control of exposure and audio settings. Timecode can be utilized to benefit multiple camera setups and can be recorded internally or externally via an Audio-Adapter S. Additionally, benefitting focus and exposure precision, focus peaking and a histogram with exposure clipping display can be viewed during recording.
Using the HDMI Type C interface, uncompressed video can also be recorded to an optional external recorder with 4:2:2 color sampling.
Benefitting the recording capabilities, a 3.5mm audio jack is incorporated into the camera's design and can be used in combination with the optional Audio-Adapter S.
Housing the imaging system is a robust, dust and weather-sealed magnesium alloy body featuring an anti-slip rubberized cover for both durability and refined handling. A rear, 3.0", 921.6k-dot, LCD monitor is available for live view monitoring and image review, and is covered with Corning Gorilla Glass for added protection and greater viewing clarity. Alternatively, an eye-level, pentaprism viewfinder is also available and features a 0.87x magnification and can accept optional interchangeable focusing screens to suit your personal shooting needs. A dual-axis spirit level can also be viewed from within the finder for assuredly level horizons and plumb verticals.
The rear of the camera is also laid out in an intuitive manner for expedited settings control using a joystick-based control method. Both a flash sync port and hot shoe are available for external flash support and a contact bar at the base of the camera is designed to accept an optional Multifunctional Hand Grip S for enhanced handling in the vertical shooting orientation.
Connectivity and Interface Design
Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity enables the use of mobile devices for remote camera control and wireless image transferring via the dedicated app. Additionally, a GPS module is also incorporated into the body's design to permit in-camera geotagging of files for plotting to an interactive map.
Benefitting in-camera recording of imagery, dual memory card slots accept one SD-type memory card and one CompactFlash-type memory card to permit overflow recording or in-camera partitioning of file types. Beyond the HDMI Type C port for recording to external recorders, a USB 3.0 terminal is also available to permit fast image transferring to a computer or for tethered shooting applications.
English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Chinese (traditional and simple), Russian, Korean, and Portuguese.
- 37.5MP 30 x 45mm CMOS Sensor
- Maestro II Image Processor
- No Optical Low-Pass Filter
- 3.0" 921.6k-Dot LCD Monitor
- Pentaprism 0.87x-Mag. Optical Viewfinder
- 4K Video at 24 fps, 4:2:2 Color
- Up to 3.5 fps Shooting, ISO 12500
- DNG File Format, 16-Bit Color Depth
- Built-In Wi-Fi and GPS Connectivity
- Weather-Sealed Magnesium Alloy Body
Leica S (Typ 007) Medium Format DSLR Camera (Body Only)
- 37.5 MP
- 45 x 30 mm CMOS sensor (Leica Pro format)
- No optical low-pass filter, IR filter on sensor. 0.8x crop factor compared to 35mm format
- Adobe RGB
- Multi-field (5 field)
- Spot (3.5%)
- Multi-field and center-weighted: EV 1.2 to 20
- Spot: EV 2.7 to 20
- Focal plane shutter; microprocessor-controlled metal blades
- Central shutter (with Leica S central shutter lenses)
- DNG lossless compressed: 37.5 MP
- JPEG: 37.5 MP, 9.3 MP, 2.3 MP
- DNG lossless compressed: 42 MB
- JPEG: 16 to 1 MB, depending on image content and resolution
- Buffer DNG lossless compressed: Up to 32 images
- JPEG: No limit, depending on memory medium, exposure time, and ISO
- 1x SD/SDHC/SDXC
- 1x CompactFlash (UDMA 7)
- External via tethered connection
- Full HD 1920 x 1080 (with Leica Pro Format sensor area)
- 4K 4096 x 2160 (with Super 35 window mode)
- Full HD: 24, 25, and 30 fps
- 4K: 24 fps
- Manual and auto control
- In-camera stereo microphone: 48 kHz, 16 bit
- 3.5 mm jack for audio-in or audio-out via optional Audio-Adapter S
- 3.0" 921.6k-dot TFT LCD with Corning Gorilla Glass cover, 100% frame coverage
- Top monochrome information display
- LEMO Flash-sync
- Hot shoe with middle and control contacts
- X-sync with focal plane shutter: 1/125 sec.
- X-sync with central shutter lens: Up to 1/1000 sec.
- High-speed sync: Up to 1/4000 sec. with optional SF 58 flash and HSS setting
- SCA 3502
- TTL HSS (up to 1/4000 sec.)
- Start or end of exposure
- HDMI Type C jack
- Flash sync socket
- LEMO USB 3.0 high-speed jack
- Audio-Adapter (audio-in, audio-out, time code) LEMO flash sync socket
- LEMO cable release socket
- Contact bar for Leica Multifunctional Handgrip S (optional)
- Battery S: Rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack (7.3 V, 2850 mAh
- Leica AC Adapter S (optional)
- 32-113°F / 0-45°C
- 15-80% relative humidity
|Unit Of Measure||ea|
- 2 Year Australian Warranty
- 100% Australian Stock
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Leica Boutique Camera Electronic users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.