Leica's 2017 Safari Edition of their 8x32 Ultravid HD-Plus Binocular is limited to just 100 individually-numbered pieces and features stylish green leather armoring, a custom hand-crafted Aneas leather-trimmed canvas carrying case and two leather straps to present an elegant look while maintaining the impressive performance their flagship series is known for.
Like the standard versions, the Safari edition delivers bright and clear high-contrast images across the entire field of view with true color rendition and virtually zero distortion. The smaller objectives reduce the overall size and weight for better portability and less muscle-strain during long-duration viewing sessions, while still delivering competent low-light performance. Keeping the magnification to 8x provides sweeping wide fields of view with reduced visible hand-shake that, when combined with the optical performance, produces an immersive observational experience.
Leica employs specially formulated SCHOTT HT glass, which increases light transmission specifically in the blue-violet light band, improving color fidelity and enhancing low-light performance. Scratch and abrasion-resistant High Durable Coatings (HDC) and hydrophobic AquaDura coatings on the outer lens surfaces protect them and causes water and oil to bead off for easier cleaning and clearer vision. The roof prisms feature P40 phase-correction and the proprietary High Lux System (HLS) coatings. These coatings virtually eliminate chromatic aberration for enhanced color rendition and increased contrast.
Complementing the optical performance are uncompromising construction details. To reduce user fatigue during long glassing sessions, the chassis is made of a lightweight yet durable magnesium alloy, with a high-tensile titanium center hinge axle. The optical tubes are nitrogen-filled for a fogproof performance, and are sealed to make the binocular submersible to 16 feet. Ergonomic thumb indents on the bottom of the binocular coupled with the upgraded textured leather armoring provide a comfortable slip-resistant grip. A lubrication-free focus system provides fast and precise focusing, with PETP-Discs to provide smooth movement throughout the broad operating temperature range.
- 8x magnification
- 32mm objective lens diameter
- Compact roof prism optical path
- SCHOTT HT glass increases light transmission, especially in blue-violet band, improves color fidelity, and enhances low-light performance
- P40 and the proprietary High Lux System (HLS) prism coatings
- High-temperature plasma lens coating depositing system enables precise optical coating placement
- Phase-corrected prisms reduce internal light diffraction to improve contrast and clarity
- Wide 62° apparent angle of view
- 406' field of view at 1000 yards
Use and Handling
- Closed bridge configuration
- Lubricant free center focus system with PETP-Discs provides smooth movement regardless of temperature or weather conditions
- 52 - 74mm interpupillary adjustment range
- ±4 right-eye dioptric correction
- Locking center diopter adjustment wheel prevents accidental adjustments
- Twist-out 4-stage click-stop eyecups
- Comfortable 13.3mm eye relief
- 4mm exit pupil
- Lightweight and impact-resistant magnesium alloy chassis
- Titanium center hinge axle
- Textured green leather armoring provides a slip-resistant grip
- Nitrogen-filled and O-ring sealed to be watertight to 16'/5m and resist internal fogging when moving through extreme temperature changes
- Broad -13 to 131°F operating temperature
- Ergonomic thumb rests for added comfort and a better grip
- Scratch and abrasion-resistant High Durable Coating (HDC) and hydrophobic AquaDura coating on outer lens protects surfaces and causes water and oil to bead off lenses for easier cleaning and clearer vision in bad weather
- Hand-crafted leather-trimmed canvas Aneas carrying bag with leather strap; leather binocular neck strap
- Weight: 19 ounces
- Limited Edition, Individually Numbered
- High-Transmittance SCHOTT HT Glass
- Phase-Corrected Roof Prisms
- HDC and AquaDura Lens Coatings
- 62° Wide Angle Viewing
- Nitrogen-Filled, Water and Fogproof
- Lightweight Magnesium Alloy Chassis
- Twist-Up Click-Stop Eyecups
- Green Leather Armoring
- Aneas Carrying Case with Leather Straps
Leica 8x32 Ultravid HD-Plus Binocular
|Unit Of Measure||ea|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Leica Boutique Camera Electronic users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.